Asian cultures have always been richly steeped in culinary history, with seafood playing a major role in this. Hong Kong is no stranger to this and over the years has seen a metamorphosis of the way seafood is cooked and consumed in the region. Buying seafood can be a tricky thing in general and when you are surrounded by hundreds of different suppliers it can be a tough choice indeed. Here we provide a brief guide into things to look for when a plan to buy shrimps Hong Kong and some pointers regarding the same.
What are the main broad categories when it comes to classifying seafood?
- Whole Fish: as the name suggests these comprise of catch fresh from the ocean with no tampering done to it whatsoever. Fresh whole fish have bright glassy eyes and pink gills with shiny skin.
- Fish Fillets: these comprise fish that has been cut into slabs for portions and sold based on that. Good fillets have almost translucent firm skin and there should be no liquid where they are stored at.
- Shellfish: this category comprises mussels, clams, and oysters, which are some of the most popular choices when it comes to seafood. Fresh shellfish look like they are just out of the water and they remain tightly shut. If they form a well-rounded shape in the palm of your hands it means the contents are well-formed inside.
- Scallops: these are highly perishable and are typically not sold live. Fresh produce should have a firm texture and a slightly sweet smell. If it smells of iodine it means it has gone bad.
- Crabs and lobsters: these are highly prized when caught alive and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The movement of the limbs and claws is often a good indicator of freshness.
- Shrimp: shrimps should have a translucent shell with light pink streaks and a mild smell.
- Whole squid and octopi: when looking for signs of freshness zero in on the condition of the flesh and glassiness of the eyes.
So, the next time you want to buy salmon fillet hong kong, always be on the lookout for tell-tale signs of freshness that the catch will exhibit. The freshest ingredients will ensure an elevated taste after being cooked and also reduce the chances of consuming spoiled ingredients and bacteria.