caThe deionised water is also known as DI water or demineralised water and it has extremely little ions and minerals in it. Ions are charged atoms which will be become charged after losing or gaining the least one electrons in it. Also a sodium atom becomes a sodium ion after losing the Na+ electron and chlorine ion becomes a Cl- chloride ion after gaining the electron. Filtration and chlorination will be done to the water to remove the organic impurities and bacteria in the water but minerals will be present in the form of ion in the water as magnesium Mg++, as calcium Ca++, chlorides, carbonates and nitrates. Normally, the water has minerals and ions in it which is not healthy and has drawbacks in the industrial scenario.
Deionization is the process to remove the ionic impurities in the water. The deionised water will take place in two phases in the industrial scenario. The first phase is removing positive ions like sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron which will be displaced by the H+ hydrogen ions. The second phase is removing negative ions like bicarbonate, chloride and nitrate with the help of OH- hydroxyl ion is used to displace. As the result of these two phases the water will not have any PH value because there are no ions in it.
Types of deionizer
There are different types of deionizer system which is effective for some specified industry purpose. Basically there are four types of deionizer systems they are,
- Disposable cartridge
- Portable exchange tanks
- Automatic units
- Continuous units
These disposable cartridge and portable exchange tank units can be used until the resin is exhausted. After which is replaced. Automatic units are permanent fixture and resin is regenerated on the site. Where this continuous deioniser is mainly used in the labs for polishing which do not require regeneration.
Where can use deionised water
Normally, the deionised water is used in micro labs and medicine companies to make drugs. Also, this is the main ingredient in the manufacture of healthcare products and cosmetics. Also this deionised water is a good solvent in glass, wood, ceramic, prick and for other works.
- It is used in the preparation of chemical mixture and as the solutions in the laboratory.
- Preparation of the electrolytes for alkaline and for the acid based batteries.
- Used to dilute the concentrated anti-freeze chemicals.
- Used in the final rinsing of printed circuit boards, washing equipment from alkalis and acids after processing the technological operations in the electronic industry.
- Used as the refuelling the cars glass washers.
- Flushing the cooling system out of automobiles.
- Topping up the cooling system where this deionised water will not create salt deposit in the system.
- It can be used in the perfumes and in detergents.